Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sage Rosenfels is no John Elway

So I'm flicking around the channels Sunday and the options were thin... a 44-6 Giants/Seahawks game in the 4th quarter, a 6-1 Phillies/Brewers game in the 8th inning, and a 27-10 Colts/Texans game with 5 minutes left in the 4th. Since the Texans having that big of a lead was the most surprising, I decided to stick on that one. As it turns out, totally the best decision.

I hate to quote Gregg Easterbrook, as his shtick has gotten to be fairly long-winded and conspiracy theory laden (I like to think I'd have this opinion even if it wasn't my team he spent an entire year attacking), I fully agree with one of his main credos: Sometimes the best thing to do is just run three times and punt the ball. C'mon Gary Kubiak, you're really going to ask Sage Rosenfels to run around and make plays when you've got a lead that big and that late? After the first fumble, which cut it to 3, you're really going to pass on 2nd AND 3rd downs instead of running off as much of the clock as possible?

I feel really bad for the rest of the Texans team. They played a tough game and deserved to win, but the coaching staff lost it for them. The Colts may have lost a step, but they're still the Colts... and you need to ALWAYS be closing against them.

No comments: